Home  //  twitter //  RETOLD  //  TO READ

Monday, May 11, 2020

Sunscreen / Sunblock

I'm currently on the hunt for a cheap sunscreen while I empty out my LRP Anthelios XL that I'd bought in Marseille. La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50+ is a thick physical (mineral) sunscreen that is a very traditional sort of sunscreen leaving a white cast and all. 

Unpopular opinion, I've actually really been loving these sorts of sunscreens on my face. I've been using it everyday and reapplying every four hours. It stings my eyes unfortunately like most sunscreens but I've been more comfortable about hanging out in the sunlight since layering up. I also haven't been breaking out which is a plus side because somehow I feel like my skin has worsened since staying home.

I've been following Dr. Andrea Suarez (Dr. Dray) who is a board certified derm on YouTube for awhile now and her content is quite heavy for the casual skincare junkie. She enjoys explanation and using medical verbiage which does tend to bore some people and I've only recently been more interested in it. I still find it difficult to sit through sometimes but she provides some excellent advice and recommendations. 

Watching her is very humbling because she uses minimal products that are proven to work and don't cost a fortune (with the exception of tretinoin). It's helpful as I have been trying to use up a lot of products in my stash. 

Another dermatologist on YouTube which I rarely watch but follow on Instagram is Dr. Davin Lim, a dermatologist based in Brisbane, Queensland. I came across one of his posts that directly contradict Dr. Dray's diehard stay out of the sun perspective (although she might be biased because she lives Houston, Texas with a very high UV index) and he says that the reason why you may be breaking out at home is because you're not getting enough sunlight. UV is bad yes, but it also has the capability to kill bacteria on the face. So yes, go outside, but don't forget to sunscreen.

So that's what I've been doing. I've been going outside and basking in the sunlight. But not without slathering layers of sunscreen on my face, neck and décolletage (you really should be using a teaspoon sized amount).

The downside of using waterproof physical sunscreens is that you should double cleanse, every single day. Do you absolutely need to? No. Traditional cleansers should have enough surfactants to break down sunscreen. But if you really want to be 100% sure you're getting everything off? Go with the double cleanse. 

It's not an issue for me, I already did it from before, but to someone who casually does skincare. This may be an issue because who has the time (and money! skincare be expensive) to buy a separate oil cleanser? I've been eyeing Then I Met You's living cleansing balm ($38/ MYR 164.69) for almost a year now, I haven't made the jump because, what if I love it? I'll be broke for the entirety of my life. 

I also do already use an oil cleanser that I know and love but could do without the fragrance which is the face shop rice water bright light cleansing oil ($11 / MYR 47.67), which is capable of removing waterproof mascara (I used garnier's micellar water and even though I soaked my eyelashes in it. It wouldn't budge). This stuff works extremely well but it does sting the eyes and it does smell very fragrant which I am not a fan of but some people might be. But it's "cheap" and it works. So I've purchased two bottles of it recently for my lockdown skin.

I could go on and on, but I think I'll end here. 

I'll be on the lookout for affordable sunscreen.
Till next time,
xx, char


No comments:

Post a Comment